A few casting bits from the last 24 hours.
– Per Deadline, Charisma Carpenter (“Buffy The Vampire Slayer”, “The Lying Game”) has been added to the cast of FOX’ fall series “Scream Queens”, which debuts September 22. Carpenter will recur as the mother of the character played by Ariana Grande.
– Also per Deadline, James Frain (“24”, “True Blood”, “The Tudors”) can add another villainous role to his roaster. He will be added as a series regular for season 2 of “Gotham”. On the FOX drama, Frain will play billionaire industrialist Theo Galavan. A new Gotham arrival, Galavan is the savior the city has been waiting for — he is sexy, heroic, and lovingly devoted to his sister Tabitha (casting TBD). But behind Galavan’s altruism is a centuries-old vendetta. Galavan and Tabitha (aka Tigress) will take chaos and violence to a new level in order to bleed Gotham. Their plan will lead to the creation of new villains… and the destruction of others.
– Sarah Silverman will be back for the upcoming third season of “Masters Of Sex”. On the Showtime drama, she will reprise her role of Helen for a multi-episode arc.
– Jussie Smollett (“Empire”) will join his sister Jurnee Smollet-Bell on WGN America’s upcoming period drama “Underground”, the network has announced. The series is described as a “pulse-pounding thriller, in which bravery, ingenuity and power take center stage as slaves band together in the fight of their lives – for their families, their future…and their freedom.” Smollett will play Josey, a wild-eyed runaway who doesn’t trust anyone, not even those stationed along the way who would try to help him. Aldis Hodge, Reed Diamond, Christopher Meloni and Jessica DeGouw also star.
– Nathaniel Parker has been added to the retooled cast of ABC’s “Of Kings and Prophets” as a regular. It’s an epic Biblical saga of faith, ambition and betrayal as told through the eyes of a battle-weary king, a powerful and resentful prophet and a resourceful young shepherd on a collision course with destiny. Parker will play cagey, shrewd and lethal King Achish, the King of Philistia who has been warring with King Saul (Ray Winstone) for years. Mark Ivanir originated the role in the pilot.
– Per several sources, Phil Klemmer (“Tomorrow People”) has been tapped to be the new showrunner for The CW’s upcoming drama “DC’s Legends Of Tomorrow”. The show centers on time-traveling rogue Rip Hunter, having seen a future he wants desperately to prevent from happening, is tasked with assembling a disparate group of heroes and villains to confront an unstoppable threat. Not only is the planet at stake, but all of time itself. Victor Garber, Brandon Routh, Arthur Darvill, Caity Lotz, Ciarra Renee, Franz Drameh, with Dominic Purcell and Wentworth Miller are set to star.